Sunday, August 27, 2006

What a Difference a Week Makes!!!!!!!

The statement "Kayla has had a rough week" is equivalent to stating "the D Day Landings were a bit of a punch up!" Kayla has had a HORRID NASTY NASTY week!

She has had problems with her wound (It leaks! and looks like a shark bite that has been machine gunned!) ................... problems with pain (24/7 Agony!!!!!!!) ................................ problems with her canula's (They only last 12 hours) .................................problems with post operative fluid retention (low blood protein) and problems with bloating (sulking intestines).

Kayla had had enough. Tears, tantrums, self doubt, hospital doubt, was the pain worth the gain?

Those of you who know Kayla know that she is a fighter not a quiter. This past Tuesday she was ready to quit! The fight was gone, she had nothing left to give. The final straw was over 15 attempts to get her canulated, her veins are so bad that they collapse as soon as the needle enters them. Kaylas Mum "MJ" (Mother Janet) is a tough "old bird" but even she was showing cracks I had a terrible night of worry and vivid canulation dreams.

It is now Sunday and I will not dwell on the negatives of this week. Kayla seems to have the power to draw that last shred of courage out of herself and always at the darkest moment. She re-focused and pushed through her pain and other problems.

Mobility was the key. However 8 days after major pelvic and abdominal surgery who wants to go for a walk? But the fact stayed the same, mobility would reduce the bloat/fluid retention and promote recovery.

Problem, mobility can not be achieved in a hospital bed attached to a morphine drip!

Kayla sporting her re-discovered "Girl Power" gave up the morphine PCA and took to pounding the ward corridors. She looked pitiful bent almost double hands holding her leaky wound worrid that her entrails could suddenly become extrails! The last thing you want is your intestines all over a hospital floor..............the GERMS! eeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwww!

Persistant is her middle name! (well it's not actually it's Sandra) but it should be! The more she walked the straighter she became, the better she felt and amazingly the fluid started to go, she no longer has hands that look like dough balls! The new 2.7 meter gut has also awoken and has demanded food!

Food!

Kayla has been unable to eat since December 05 due to her intestines being melted by radiotherapy and kinked by the reccurence of cancer.

Today she is eating and has ordered the following...........................

Breakfast: Rice Crispies, tea, bacon, tomatoes and sausage!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lunch: Roasted vegetable and cream cheese sandwich with a lemon cheesecake!!!!!!

Supper: Roast chicken, stuffing, veg, roast potatoes, gravy (yes she does like gravy) and apple pie and custard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know how much she will eat but just wanting to eat and not feeling sick in a start! Come on Kayla my darling you are amazing! She has gone from physical wreck to human dustbin in less than a week. The staff and surgical team are amazed.

I am the most amazed, during this period of Kayla's journey I have never been so scared in my life. Not just for her health or life, although at times things were very dire, she was always in good hands. My main fear was that Kayla had reached her limit of pain, all things medical and her journey. I honestly thought that she was losing her will to fight and with her spirit gone that she was gonna give up on her battle and just become a prisoner to the evil cancer beast.

No not Kayla she just retreated, regrouped and counter attacked that's my girl!

She is now 200% better, complaining of being bored and counting the seconds to her release!

I now need a good sleep and a few pints of "Speckled Hen" as I am a burnt out husk of my former self (no I'm not I have always looked like this! a cross between Oliver Reed and the Kurgan!)

Take Care Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwllllllll

Stu

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How flippin splendid is that! That is really great news. I am really really pleased and so is Kala clone. It's about time that Kayla, yourself, the children, 'M to the J', Shazza, and anyone else associated with the good lady heard something to make them shout from the rooftops. Thank the lord... Allelooooooooooyah. And now I would like you all to join me in singing these words to the tune of 'De Camptown ladies sing dis song -- Doo-dah! doo-dah'...' Stuey can you accompany on Banjo please.

Intro... Ding Ding Diddle Diddle ding ding dee ding diddle de ding dong

"Dere's no more can makes me frown doo-dah... doo-dah... I eats ma food an' I keeps it down. doo-dah doo-dah-day.
I'm gonna have some chick'n n a bowl of rice doo-dah... doo-dah... Fresh fish on a platter, now dat sounds nice! doo-dah doo-dah day.

Me goin' to eat all night, Me goin' to eat all day, I won't stop eating till I've dun de lot, so get out of me way.

I've bin hungry far too long doo-dah doo-dah, bin livin' on liquids an me not feel strong doo-dah doo-dah day.
Time to go home now, me gonna get fat doo-dah doo-dah Dere better be some food in or I'll eat de cat doo-dah doo-dah-day.

Time to put on weight, that is what I say... So show me food an' I won't delay, I'll no more fade away.

Lot's of love from de Schoey's XXX

11:01 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't imagine how things have been for both of you this last week ....how do you cope. Hope you are enjoying some food Kayla - sounded good what you ordered! Thinking of you so much. Love Nicola Steve and Boys. xxxx

11:14 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hiya,

You are both amazing your strength and courage are remarkable! I really hope Kayala managed to eat (and retain) at least some of what she ordered!
Love to you all
GlendaX

9:24 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Super, super duper! The girl's in our family always fight, we are born survivor's, princess KK is proof of that! Enjoy your beer Stu. Lots of love & hugs Maleta & Fat Bot Slim Declan xxxxxxxxxx

7:55 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home